Helena & Dependencies
St Helena is a lone mid-Atlantic
island, a mere 47 square miles in size, situated at Lat. 15º 55í S
and Long. 5º 45í W., 1200 miles west of Angola, its nearest mainland.
The islandís capital and only town is Jamestown, with a population of 1,302,
out of a total population of 5,644. An airport is currently under
St Helena was discovered by the Portuguese
in 1502 and has been a British colony since it was first settled by the
East India Company in 1659. It was home to the exiled Emperor Napoleon
Bonaparte from 1815 until his death in 1821. In 1834, the island
became a Crown Colony and is still a British Overseas Territory.
Ascension Island, 700 miles to the
north west of St Helena, and Tristan da Cunha, 1200 miles to the south
west, were occupied in 1815 and 1816. Ascension Islandís capital
is Georgetown and the island has a total population of 1,122. Tristan
da Cunha has a population of 284.